Click and view

Veg burger Gobi Manchuri Homemade Tea Masala Homemade Tea Masala Rose Falooda Mango mouse Eggless Vanilla Choco Cake

Monday, December 17, 2007

Batate Ambade

*************************************************************


Batate Ambade/ Potato Bajji / Batata Wada


Potato Bajji or Batate Ambade is a simple snack, which can also be eaten with Pav i.e Vada pav.

In kananda we call potato as 'batate' and vada as 'Ambade'. Its called 'Ambade' because of is round shape. This is one of the famous snack of my home town 'Mangalore'. I like this snack very much. When i was in college i used to have it in our college canteen.. Yummy.. I used to tell that canteen aunty to keep atleast one in my name. :).. it was fun.. Those were the best days of our life.

Last week our small Indian group had a potluck.My recipe was wada so made this Ambode and capsicum bajji. All liked it... :) I like to share one more thing. My husband liked it very much and he wanted me to prepare this Batate Ombode for his 'Office Potluck' also.

So here is the recipe.. Enjoy it.. I made 25 - 30 Ambade. Here the recipe is for around 10 Ambade.


Ingredients

1 1/4 cup gram flour (besan)
1/2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp baking soda or soda bicarbonate
oil for deep frying
salt


Filling

4-5 medium sized potatoes boiled and smashed
1 tbsp ginger grated
1 tbsp garlic grated
4-5 (or more) green chilies
4 - 5 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
salt


For tempering

1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp oil
curry leaves








Method

1. In a large bowl add gram flour,chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt, baking soda mix it and add water to get the pakoda batter. The batter should be thicker than the usual pakoda batter. Because how thick the batter is that soft an fuffy an thick the outer cover will be.
2. Keep aside tha batter for 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Mean while we can make the filling for ombode. In a pan add oil an add the tempering ingrediants.
4. To that tempering add the ginger and garlic garted. let it fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the smashed potatoes. Take away the heat.
6. At last add the chopped coriender and make small balls.
7. Now dip these small balls in the batter and deep fry them in the oil.
8. Batate Ambode is ready to be served.




Batate Ambode

10 comments:

Sagari said...

HI ARCHANA your pic make my mouth water yummyy potato vadas looks delecious

Meera said...

Yum! They are my absolute favorites!! Looks like I need to come over to gobble some up!!:-)

Archy said...

Sagari and Meera : Thank's a lot for ur nice words and support..

FH said...

Yummy!! I made some Jalepeno bajjis last weekend! HOT!!!:D

Anonymous said...

absolutely yummy. You have a great site up there. I made these vada's recently for my vada pav. My family loves these.

Thanks for all your recipes. You have some interesting ones there which i am going to try for new years :)
Archana
http://www.archanaskitchen.com/

MR said...

nice potato vadas!! archana!!
looks tempting
I never tried making this with ginger garlic...will soon do

Archy said...

Asha : Thanks for visiting my blog..!!

Archana : Wow one more Archana..
Thank you.. Sure try out the recipes.. even u have a nice blog..!!

Mallurecipes : Thanks for ur kind words..!!

Anonymous said...

Hi archana i was longing to make all these recipies but u made my work easy. as u said even i like that typical batata ambade, i didn't waste my time to this snack wen i saw this recipe. n my hubby liked it very much. m planning have small tea party with my freinds i jus wanna know can we prepare this ahead atleast 1 hr before or just b4 arriving guests. i liked ur website vry much. i am from mangalore/udupi n rite now i live in dubai.looking forward for many mangalore traditional recipies.

kind regards
Lavita.

Archy said...

Lavita,
Hi, thank you so much for ur sweet words :) !!
So nice to know even ur from mangalore.. Hey, you can prepare it one hour before the guest come and enjoy ur tea party :) !! Thing is you just heat for 1-2 minutes in microwave before serving them.
Even i have made this ambade for most of my polucks hours before i serve them :) !!

Anonymous said...

Hi Archy,

thanx for your prompt reply. it helped me lot n everyone enjoyed this snack. i love cooking too and learning how much i can. take care

best wishes
lavita